I had tried, and failed miserably, to make traditional "cake balls" with an allergy-free cake recipe and allergy-free frosting, because the cake didn't crumble the way I needed it to and when I mixed it with the frosting, it didn't adhere properly and just made a mess. I thank my lucky stars for this donut hole maker, because it makes them in the right shape, without having to mix, roll and set in the freezer. Now, I know that part of the appeal of a cake ball is that it is frosting and cake mixed together, but when you're trying to make it allergy-free, you do what you need to do. I can still decorate them on the outside and it even came with an injector, for injecting fillings, but I haven't tried that, yet. I think there's plenty that can be done to spruce these up and get pretty close to a traditional cake ball that's (generally) allergy-safe. (I write "generally", because some have potato allergies and the GF flour has potato starch. Anyone can be allergic to anything, so nothing is ever truly 100% allergy-free.)
I made substitutions to their "Quick Donut Holes" recipe, which resulted in the following recipe:
- 2 c. gluten-free flour (I use Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend)
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum*
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder**
- 1 "egg" (I use Ener-G Egg Replacer) (1 1/2 tsp. egg replacer powder + 2 T. warm water)
- 1 1/4 c. rice milk + 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (to substitute for buttermilk) ***
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder)
- Stir in wet ingredients (milk mixture, oil and "egg") and beat with a fork
- Use a cookie scoop to drop batter into donut hole cavities
- Cook 3-7 minutes (mine took 5 minutes)
**Use corn-free baking powder, if needed.
***You can also use hemp milk, or any other safe-for-you, non-dairy milk and add 1 T. of lemon juice or vinegar (rice or apple cider vinegar), to make the "buttermilk".
Update: Since switching to Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend,
they are now
EVEN BETTER and SO FLUFFY on the inside!